What is the common core?
The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort that established a single set of clear educational standards for kindergarten through 12th grade in English language arts and mathematics that states voluntarily adopt. The standards are designed to ensure that students graduating from high school are prepared to enter credit bearing entry courses in two or four year college programs or enter the workforce. The standards are clear and concise to ensure that parents, teachers, and students have a clear understanding of the expectations in reading, writing, speaking and listening, language and mathematics in school.
“Mission Statement.” Common Core State Standards Initiative. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School, 2010. Web. 20 Sept. 2013.
What changes can be expected with common core?
Changes in Language Arts/Literacy
- Build knowledge through content-rich nonfiction and informational texts.
- Read, write, and speak grounded in evidence from texts.
- Practice regularly with increasingly complex texts and academic vocabulary.
Changes in Mathematics
- Focus: Narrow and deep emphasis based on standards
- Coherence: Across grades and to major topics within grades
- >Rigor: Equal intensity of conceptual understanding, procedural skills and fluency, and application.